Hydrolyzed whey is a type of why protein that is produced using high heat and acids to separate and purify the protein. Products processed like this have about 90% to 95% whey.
Whey protein comes from whey curds in cow's milk, which is produced during the cheese production process when casein is removed. Cow's milk contains about 20% whey and 80% casein. Some companies go an extra step and also remove lipids and other non-protein substances - getting closer to 100% pure whey.
Whey is processed into different forms, such as concentrates and isolates. Hydrolyzed whey is a process that actually alters the protein, giving it additional benefits.
The process of hydrolyzation occurs by introducing enzymes that break up long protein strands.
Studies demonstrate that whey hydrolysates are easier to absorb because the partially digested protein chains are broken up in the digestive system.
Health care providers recommend hydrolyzed whey protein for certain patients, such as those with a compromised immune system, because it's gentle on the digestive system and provides much needed amino acids to facilitate recovery.
During hydrolyzed whey protein processing, most allergens, including lactose and caseins, are removed. Compared to whey concentrates and casein protein, it triggers fewer allergenic reactions.
Users with autoimmune disorders report fewer flare-ups.
Hydrolyzed whey contains less allergens compared to regular milk and casein, so it won't cause hypersensitivity reactions.
Hydrolyzed whey contains less allergens compared to regular milk and casein, so it won't cause hypersensitivity reactions. However, exceptionally sensitive patients may still experience symptoms. For this reason, it's best to consult your doctor before taking any protein supplement.
Muscle protein synthesis
The loss of muscle tissue, known as sarcopenia, is a natural part of aging. One study found that whey protein may stimulate muscle protein production, compared to casein and casein hydrolysate, especially in older men.
It takes less effort for the body to digest hydrolyzed why proteins, resulting in improved muscle generation and repair.
Leucine, a powerful branched-chain amino acid, is the main muscle-synthesis component in hydrolyzed whey. While it promotes protein synthesis in muscle, you still need essential amino acids to complete protein chains, something that whey protein can provide.
Improved cardiovascular system
Recent studies show that a substance in hydrolyzed whey protein may have an anti-inflammatory effect, especially on the cardiovascular system. Additionally, protein preparation has an inhibitory effect on angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE inhibitors), which causes a drop in blood pressure.
The combined benefits result in lower blood pressure, which is essential for oxygen and nutrient distribution to the rest of the body.
Whey protein isolate vs. hydrolysate
We often recommend pure whey isolate products for individuals who are lactose intolerant and cannot handle cheaper whey concentrate. See our whey protein isolate category for more information.
For the most part, whey protein hydrolysates don't have side effects. However, people with a milk sensitivity or a metabolic disease, like liver or kidney failure, should avoid protein supplements.
The best hydrolyzed whey proteinBNRG's Proto Whey has been rebranded as Power Crunch Proto Whey and the reviews, not counting those that describe the flavor as "off", are generally good.
With protein in general, it's impossible to state a recommended dosage because it varies based on athletic goals and diet. Many athletes try to get at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight every day, which also includes food-based sources.
An average dose ranges from 20g to 40g twice a day (one post-workout, and one between meals as a snack).
You can see our main protein page to get more information about the importance of this macronutrient.
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for the general population, according to the Centers for Disease Control:
|Kids, 1 to 3 years||13g|
|Kids, 4 to 8 years||19g|
|Kids 9 to 13 years||34g|
|Girls, 14 to 18 years||46g|
|Boys, 14 to 18 years||52g|
|Women 19 to 70+ years||46g|
|Men 19 to 70+ years||56g|
Since protein is easy to get from your diet, people in industrialized countries like the U.S. often end up getting more than they need.[8, 9]
If you're an athletes, the amount of protein you need depends mainly on age and weight. But the reason why you're taking the protein will also influence your dose.
As long as you're at a healthy weight, you can go wrong with consuming 1g of protein per pound each day.
Here are the minimum numbers experts recommend for those who are more physically active than the general population (i.e. bodybuilders and athletes). Note that protein supplement manufacturers often suggest take amounts that are 2 to 4 times higher than the minimum RDA:
|Activity level||RDA per pound of bodyweight|
|Recreational||.5g to .75g|
|Competitive||.6g to .9g|
|Teens (athletic)||.8g to .9g|
|Bodybuilders||.7g to .9g|
A more general range for protein intake for ordinary exercisers is 1.4g to 2g per pound of body weight, with endurance athletes requiring 1g to 1.6g per pound, depending on exercise intensity and duration. Strength and power athletes need 1.6g to 2g per kilogram.
Where to buy
Save more money by purchasing your hydrolyzed whey protein at PricePlow. No matter what kind of athlete you are, protein is a must-have supplement on its own or part of a daily stack regimen.
- Krissansen GW; Journal of the American College of Nutrition; "Emerging Health Properties of Whey Proteins and Their Clinical Implications;" December 2007
- Ziemlaski S., et. al.; Acto Physiologica Polonica; "Balanced intraintestinal nutrition: digestion, absorption and biological value of selected preparations of milk proteins." November/December 2008
- Pennings B, et. al.; The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; "Whey protein stimulates postprandial muscle protein accretion more effectively than do casein and casein hydrolysate in older men;" May 2011
- Andre F. Piccolomini, et. al.; Food Nutrition Research; "High hydrostatic pressure pre-treatment of whey proteins enhances whey protein hydrolysate inhibition of oxidative stress and IL-8 secretion in intestinal epithelial cells;" June 2012
- Pihlanto-Leppala A., et. al.; The Journal of Dairy Research; "Angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory properties of whey protein digests: concentration and characterization of active peptides;" February 2000
- Gina Shaw; WebMD; "Do You Need Protein Powders?" 2011
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; "Protein;" Updated October 2012
- Louise Chang, MD; WebMD; "How Much Protein Do You Need?" 2011
- Rankin JW; Clinics in Sports Medicine; "Role of Protein in Exercise;" 1999
- WebMD; "Protein Shakes;" 2012
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein News on PricePlow
Jul 03, 2022 YouTube Video
4th of July ROCKET POP Protein & Pre-Workout | Myprotein 2022
Jul 02, 2022 Blog Post
Myprotein’s 4th of July Bash: Rocket Pop Clear Whey Isolate & The Pre-Workout
Myprotein's US division is celebrating the 2022 4th of July with a ROCKET POP flavor extension of their Clear Whey Isolate and The Pre-Workout!
Apr 09, 2022 Product News
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Premium Protein was created.
Category: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
Jan 11, 2022 Product News
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein has new variations: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
Dec 13, 2021 Product News
USP Labs Hydro 100 has new variations: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
Dec 02, 2021 Product News
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein has new variations:
- 2 Lbs. - Chocolate Fudge Brownie
- 5 Lbs. - Chocolate Fudge Brownie
- 5 Lbs. - Cookies & Cream
- 5 Lbs. - French Vanilla Ice Cream
- 5 Lbs. - Orange Creamsicle
Dec 01, 2021 YouTube Video
Best One Yet! Mike & Ike Caribbean Punch & Sour Watermelon Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate
Dec 01, 2021 Blog Post
Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate Mike and Ike Caribbean Punch & Sour Watermelon
Myprotein is back with more Mike and Ike Clear Whey Isolate collabs: Caribbean Punch & Sour Watermelon Clear Whey Isolate! VERY good and VERY sour!
Nov 03, 2021 YouTube Video
BLOOD ORANGE is Back! Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate 2021
Sep 02, 2021 YouTube Video
POWER RANGERS PROTEIN! Myprotein GRAPE Clear Whey Isolate!
Aug 02, 2021 Blog Post
Velositol Increases Exercise Performance: New University Study Published
Here's an exclusive look at some exciting new research conducted on Velositol. Read more to see how Velositol can help improve exercise performance!
Jul 30, 2021 YouTube Video
MATT MORSIA's Strawberry Laces! Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate
Jul 04, 2021 YouTube Video
ROCKET POP Protein! Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate 4th of July
Mar 29, 2021 YouTube Video
Whey Protein of Olympians | O15 BIG HYDRO
Mar 19, 2021 Blog Post
O15 Big Hydro Takes Hydrolyzed Whey Protein to the Next Level
O15 Big Hydro is a hydrolyzed whey protein powder that is amplified with Nutrition21's Velositol. See how the science stacks these two up together!
Mar 19, 2021 Product News
O15 Nutrition Big Hydro was created.
Categories: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, Whey Protein Concentrate
Dec 01, 2020 YouTube Video
ioPea Protein | Best Plant Protein Source
Sep 29, 2020 YouTube Video
Myprotein Protein Gelatin Mix Review | Don't Do This!
Sep 10, 2020 YouTube Video
Is Ghost Whey Marshmallow Cereal Milk Magically Delicious? | The Ultimate LEGEND BOWL!
Aug 31, 2020 YouTube Video
Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate Finally Figured Out! Wild Cherry!
Mar 04, 2020 Blog Post
Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate Adds Strawberry and Cranberry Apple to the Menu!
Myprotein is expanding the Clear Whey Isolate line by adding two new flavors, Strawberry and Cranberry Apple! Find out how these flavors stack up!
Jan 28, 2020 Blog Post
What is Ion Exchange Whey, and is it Bad?
Ion-Exchange Whey Protein is made using technology to separate whey protein from unwanted carbs, sugars and fats. However, it has several flaws.
Apr 07, 2019 YouTube Video
EVL 100% Isolate: Chocolate vs Vanilla BOGO Goodness
Mar 13, 2019 YouTube Video
Do High-Protein Diets Harm KIDNEY Function?!
Oct 28, 2018 Blog Post
Velositol: Enhancing Muscle Protein Synthesis with Science
Velositol is Nutrition21's protein-enhancing muscle-building ingredient that may increase muscle protein synthesis (MPS) when used with protein!
Sep 21, 2018 YouTube Video
Olympia 2018 Interview - Eli from Adaptogen Science
Nov 01, 2016 YouTube Video
Gaspari Precision Protein Review: Neapolitan Ice Cream!
Aug 26, 2016 Blog Post
Gaspari Precision Protein: New Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Tech
Gaspari Nutriton's tirade continues with the release of Precision Protein and an industry-first optimized-leucine form of whey protein.
Sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Price Alerts
The following price alerts are still active:
- Sep 24, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only Chocolate Fudge Brownie) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Sep 17, 2022Gaspari Nutrition Proven Whey 2 Lbs. (only Blueberry Cobbler, Chocolate Ice Cream, Neapolitan Ice Cream, Strawberries & Cream) dropped by 46.7% to $48.95 at eBay.com
- Sep 15, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only French Vanilla Ice Cream) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Sep 13, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only S'mores) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Sep 10, 2022Power Crunch Proto Whey 2.1 Lbs. (only Vanilla Cream) dropped by 54.9% to $26.99 at AllStarHealth
- Sep 10, 2022Power Crunch Proto Whey 2.1 Lbs. (only Double Chocolate) dropped by 55% to $26.99 at AllStarHealth
- Sep 07, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only Blueberry Muffin, Cookies & Cream) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Aug 24, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Aug 17, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only Neapolitan Ice Cream) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Jun 21, 2022Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only Orange Creamsicle) dropped by 10.1% to $35.96 at Best Price Nutrition
- Feb 07, 2022Gaspari Nutrition Proven Whey 4 Lbs. (only Vanilla Ice Cream) dropped by 6.7% to $70.00 at AllStarHealth
Sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein deals, news, and coupons!
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Reviews & Videos
Mar 29, 2021Whey Protein of Olympians | O15 BIG HYDRO
Dec 01, 2020ioPea Protein | Best Plant Protein Source
Mar 13, 2019Do High-Protein Diets Harm KIDNEY Function?!
Subscribe for more Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news and alerts!