Hydrolyzed whey is a type of why protein that is produced using high heat and acids to separate and purify the protein. Products processed like this have about 90% to 95% whey.
Whey protein comes from whey curds in cow's milk, which is produced during the cheese production process when casein is removed. Cow's milk contains about 20% whey and 80% casein. Some companies go an extra step and also remove lipids and other non-protein substances - getting closer to 100% pure whey.
Whey is processed into different forms, such as concentrates and isolates. Hydrolyzed whey is a process that actually alters the protein, giving it additional benefits.
The process of hydrolyzation occurs by introducing enzymes that break up long protein strands.
Studies demonstrate that whey hydrolysates are easier to absorb because the partially digested protein chains are broken up in the digestive system.
Health care providers recommend hydrolyzed whey protein for certain patients, such as those with a compromised immune system, because it's gentle on the digestive system and provides much needed amino acids to facilitate recovery.
During hydrolyzed whey protein processing, most allergens, including lactose and caseins, are removed. Compared to whey concentrates and casein protein, it triggers fewer allergenic reactions.
Users with autoimmune disorders report fewer flare-ups.
Hydrolyzed whey contains less allergens compared to regular milk and casein, so it won't cause hypersensitivity reactions.
Hydrolyzed whey contains less allergens compared to regular milk and casein, so it won't cause hypersensitivity reactions. However, exceptionally sensitive patients may still experience symptoms. For this reason, it's best to consult your doctor before taking any protein supplement.
Muscle protein synthesis
The loss of muscle tissue, known as sarcopenia, is a natural part of aging. One study found that whey protein may stimulate muscle protein production, compared to casein and casein hydrolysate, especially in older men.
It takes less effort for the body to digest hydrolyzed why proteins, resulting in improved muscle generation and repair.
Leucine, a powerful branched-chain amino acid, is the main muscle-synthesis component in hydrolyzed whey. While it promotes protein synthesis in muscle, you still need essential amino acids to complete protein chains, something that whey protein can provide.
Improved cardiovascular system
Recent studies show that a substance in hydrolyzed whey protein may have an anti-inflammatory effect, especially on the cardiovascular system. Additionally, protein preparation has an inhibitory effect on angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE inhibitors), which causes a drop in blood pressure.
The combined benefits result in lower blood pressure, which is essential for oxygen and nutrient distribution to the rest of the body.
Whey protein isolate vs. hydrolysate
We often recommend pure whey isolate products for individuals who are lactose intolerant and cannot handle cheaper whey concentrate. See our whey protein isolate category for more information.
For the most part, whey protein hydrolysates don't have side effects. However, people with a milk sensitivity or a metabolic disease, like liver or kidney failure, should avoid protein supplements.
The best hydrolyzed whey proteinBNRG's Proto Whey has been rebranded as Power Crunch Proto Whey and the reviews, not counting those that describe the flavor as "off", are generally good.
With protein in general, it's impossible to state a recommended dosage because it varies based on athletic goals and diet. Many athletes try to get at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight every day, which also includes food-based sources.
An average dose ranges from 20g to 40g twice a day (one post-workout, and one between meals as a snack).
You can see our main protein page to get more information about the importance of this macronutrient.
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for the general population, according to the Centers for Disease Control:
|Kids, 1 to 3 years||13g|
|Kids, 4 to 8 years||19g|
|Kids 9 to 13 years||34g|
|Girls, 14 to 18 years||46g|
|Boys, 14 to 18 years||52g|
|Women 19 to 70+ years||46g|
|Men 19 to 70+ years||56g|
Since protein is easy to get from your diet, people in industrialized countries like the U.S. often end up getting more than they need.[8, 9]
If you're an athletes, the amount of protein you need depends mainly on age and weight. But the reason why you're taking the protein will also influence your dose.
As long as you're at a healthy weight, you can go wrong with consuming 1g of protein per pound each day.
Here are the minimum numbers experts recommend for those who are more physically active than the general population (i.e. bodybuilders and athletes). Note that protein supplement manufacturers often suggest take amounts that are 2 to 4 times higher than the minimum RDA:
|Activity level||RDA per pound of bodyweight|
|Recreational||.5g to .75g|
|Competitive||.6g to .9g|
|Teens (athletic)||.8g to .9g|
|Bodybuilders||.7g to .9g|
A more general range for protein intake for ordinary exercisers is 1.4g to 2g per pound of body weight, with endurance athletes requiring 1g to 1.6g per pound, depending on exercise intensity and duration. Strength and power athletes need 1.6g to 2g per kilogram.
Where to buy
Save more money by purchasing your hydrolyzed whey protein at PricePlow. No matter what kind of athlete you are, protein is a must-have supplement on its own or part of a daily stack regimen.
- Krissansen GW; Journal of the American College of Nutrition; "Emerging Health Properties of Whey Proteins and Their Clinical Implications;" December 2007
- Ziemlaski S., et. al.; Acto Physiologica Polonica; "Balanced intraintestinal nutrition: digestion, absorption and biological value of selected preparations of milk proteins." November/December 2008
- Pennings B, et. al.; The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; "Whey protein stimulates postprandial muscle protein accretion more effectively than do casein and casein hydrolysate in older men;" May 2011
- Andre F. Piccolomini, et. al.; Food Nutrition Research; "High hydrostatic pressure pre-treatment of whey proteins enhances whey protein hydrolysate inhibition of oxidative stress and IL-8 secretion in intestinal epithelial cells;" June 2012
- Pihlanto-Leppala A., et. al.; The Journal of Dairy Research; "Angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory properties of whey protein digests: concentration and characterization of active peptides;" February 2000
- Gina Shaw; WebMD; "Do You Need Protein Powders?" 2011
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; "Protein;" Updated October 2012
- Louise Chang, MD; WebMD; "How Much Protein Do You Need?" 2011
- Rankin JW; Clinics in Sports Medicine; "Role of Protein in Exercise;" 1999
- WebMD; "Protein Shakes;" 2012
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein News on PricePlow
Jan 26, 2018 YouTube Video:
Amazing Chocolate Whey Protein Flavor! | Redcon1 RATION
Jan 23, 2018 Product News:
AST MyoGenin was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Jan 11, 2018 Product News:
Human Evolution Supplements Pro Maker Hydrolyzed was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Dec 13, 2017 Product News:
USN 1-Whey Pure-100 Hydrolysate was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Dec 10, 2017 Product News:
Adaptogen Science Tasty Iso has a new variation: 2 Lbs. - Vanilla Sundae (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Dec 10, 2017 Product News:
Adaptogen Science Tasty Iso has a new variation: 5 Lbs. - Vanilla Sundae (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Dec 10, 2017 Product News:
Adaptogen Science Tasty Iso has a new variation: 2 Lbs. - Chocolate Truffle (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Dec 10, 2017 Product News:
Adaptogen Science Tasty Iso has a new variation: 5 Lbs. - Chocolate Truffle (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Dec 04, 2017 YouTube Video:
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate | Adaptogen Tasty ISO Review (Chocolate)
Oct 24, 2017 Product News:
Adaptogen Science Tasty Iso was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Aug 14, 2017 YouTube Video:
Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein Blueberry Muffin & Cinnamon Cereal Crunch Flavor Review!
Aug 02, 2017 YouTube Video:
Dymatize ISO-100 New Chocolate Coconut Flavor Review!
Apr 10, 2017 Product News:
Ultimate Nutrition Hydro Cool was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Jan 17, 2017 Product News:
Myprotein Hydrolysed Whey Protein was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Nov 01, 2016 YouTube Video:
Gaspari Precision Protein Review: Neapolitan Ice Cream!
Aug 26, 2016 Product News:
Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Jul 13, 2016 Product News:
ANS Performance N-ISO was created (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
Sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Deals & Price Alerts
The following deals are still active:
- Jun 17, 2018: Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein 2 Lbs. (only Neapolitan Ice Cream) dropped by 37.6% to $18.48 at Vitamin Shoppe
- Jun 17, 2018: Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein 4 Lbs. (only Neapolitan Ice Cream) dropped by 8.4% to $30.48 at Vitamin Shoppe
- Jun 09, 2018: Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein 4 Lbs. (only Vanilla Ice Cream) dropped by 31.8% to $33.29 at Best Price Nutrition
- Jun 09, 2018: Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein 4 Lbs. (only Cinnamon Cereal Crunch) dropped by 32.0% to $33.29 at Best Price Nutrition
- Apr 05, 2018: Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein 4 Lbs. (only Chocolate Ice Cream) dropped by 11.1% to $48.79 at DPS Nutrition
- Feb 22, 2018: Gaspari Nutrition Precision Protein 4 Lbs. (only Blueberry Muffin) dropped by 10.8% to $48.95 at IllPumpYouUp.com
Sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Hydrolyzed Whey Protein deals, news, and coupons!
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Reviews & YouTube Videos
Jan 26, 2018: Amazing Chocolate Whey Protein Flavor! | Redcon1 RATION
Aug 02, 2017: Dymatize ISO-100 New Chocolate Coconut Flavor Review!
Nov 01, 2016: Gaspari Precision Protein Review: Neapolitan Ice Cream!
Subscribe for more Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news and alerts!
Subscribe to PricePlow on YouTube or click the button below to sign up for our latest Hydrolyzed Whey Protein news and reviews!
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Topics in the PricePlow Forum
- Jan 26, 2018: Amazing Chocolate Whey Protein Flavor! | Redcon1 RATION
- Dec 04, 2017: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate | CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE