Green tea is made from the Camellia sinensis plant.  While black and oolong teas are fermented, green tea is made by steaming the plant leaves. Steaming preserves polyphenols, alcohols that are present in plants and neutralize cell- and tissue-damaging free radicals in the body.
Green tea and extracts have been used for avariety of medicinal purposes for many years.  Japan received its first shipment of green tea from India in the 1600s. Green tea is most popular in Asia, but is also consumed in other parts of the world, including the United States and Europe. Green tea is packed with nutrients, including protein, carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins. 
What Is Green Tea Used For?
Green tea is used for: [1, 2 and 3]
- Mental alertness
- Weight loss
- Stomach problems
- Cancer treatment and prevention
- Crohn's disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- Low blood pressure
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Kidney stones
Tea bags are also used to: 
- Relieve sunburn
- Prevent skin cancer
- Reduce bags under the eyes
- Relieve headaches
- Treat bleeding gums
An ointment containing green tea is used to treat genital warts. Green tea is also used in tooth paste and makeup.
Green tea is available as a drink or extract. The extract is available in capsule, liquid or ointment form. Doses vary depending on the form used and diagnosis. [1 and 2] Consult your health care provider.
What Are the Benefits of Green Tea?
According to research results, green tea may be effective for: [1 and 2]
- Mental alertness
- Dizziness prevention (when standing up—in older people)
- Genital warts (ointment)
- Cancer delay or prevention—bladder, esophageal, pancreatic and ovarian
- Low blood pressure—in older people who get it following a meal
- Lowering cholesterol and triglycerides
- Lowering the risk of getting Parkinson's disease, or at least putting it off
- Lowers abnormal cell growth in the cervix (cervical dysplasia) due to infection
There isn't enough evidence to recommend green tea for: [1 and 3]
- High blood pressure
- Stroke prevention
- Weight loss
- Breast skin, cervical, gastric, lung, stomach, and prostate cancers (it also might not benefit those with colon cancer)
- Gum disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease prevention
- Kidney stones
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
More studies are needed.
Does Green Tea Interact Adversely With Any Medications, Herbs or Other Supplements?
[1 and 3]
Do not mix green tea with amphetaminesorcocaine as they all speed up the nervous system. This could cause your heart rate and blood pressure to jump up and also make you feel on edge.
Quinolone antibiotics, birth control pills, estrogens,Tagamet, Antabuse, and alcohol can all decrease the time it takes the body to process caffeine, so taking any of them together with green tea could cause jitteriness, headache, increased heart rate and other side effects.
Green tea may also decrease the effectiveness of Velcade, Coumadin, diabetes medication, and folic acid.
Green tea may increase the effects or side effects of Lithium, Fluconazole, Clozapine, Riluzole, Theophylline, and Verapamil. Fluvoxamine, Mexitil, Lamisil, and herbs and supplements that have caffeine, also should not be mixed with green tea, as there is risk of caffeine side effects such as edginess, headache and increased heart rate. Ephedrine also could cause serious side effects and heart problems if taken with green tea.
Green tea may impede the effects of adenosine and dipyridamole, which are both used during cardiac stress tests. Stop using green tea and other caffeinated foods, drinks and supplements at least 24 hours before the test.
Do not take asthma medication (Beta-adrenergic agonists) or phenylpropanolamine with green tea. The caffeine in both may over-stimulate the heart, causing health issues including boosted heart rate and blood pressure, as well as edginess.
Other drugs, food, herbs and supplements not to mix green tea with include:
- Medications, herbs and supplements that can harm the liver
- Medications that hinder blood clotting
- Cancer medications
- Bitter orange
- Ephedra (Ma Huang)—mixing the two can be life-threatening.
More research is needed.
Possible Side Effects of Green Tea
[1 and 2]
- Problems sleeping
- Ear ringing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Frequent urination
[1, 2 and 3]
- Green tea is safe for most adults.
- Green tea extract might be safe for adults, but on a short-term basis only.
- Avoid drinking more than five cups of green tea per day.
- Drinking excessive amounts of green tea can be fatal.
- Normal amounts of green tea may be safe for children. Consult your child's pediatrician.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, limit yourself to two cups of green tea per day. Higher amounts could lead to complications including miscarriage.
- Green tea may exacerbate anxiety and anemia.
- Green tea may aggravate bleeding disorders.
- If you're a diabetic, go easy on green tea. It may affect blood sugar.
- The caffeine in green tea may aggravate liver disease, high blood pressure, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome. Research is mixed regarding the effects it has on the liver. Consult your health care provider.
- If you have osteoporosis, avoid consuming more than 2 to 3 cups or 300 milligrams of green tea per day.
- Avoid green tea if you have experienced renal failure.
- Purchase green tea from reputable companies only.
- Inform your health care provider of all supplements and complementary care you use. Discuss proper dosages particular to your symptoms and medical history.
- Herbs and other supplements aren't subject to strict government regulation. Safety, consistency, and effects may vary by brand and batch.
- Consider the significant, positive effects that regular exercise, a balanced diet and an overall healthy lifestyle can have on your mental and physical state.
- Each person is different. Effects of green tea may not be universal. 
- Although we don't sell green tea, you can compare quality and price of a variety of brands here at PricePlow.com. Please note that we are not doctors. We take no responsibility for the products listed here since we don't manufacture them.
- Don't take our word for it. Consult other reputable sources such as scientific journals for information on green tea before experimenting with it. Educate yourself about what you put into your body!
- "Green Tea;" MedlinePlus; National Library of Medicine; NIH National Institutes of Health
- "Green Tea;" Herbs at a Glance; National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- "Beneficial Effects of Green Tea: A Literature Review;" S. M. Chacko, et.al.; Chinese Medicine, 2010; National Council of Biotechnology Information; U.S. National Library of Medicine; National Institutes of Health
Green Tea News on PricePlow
Aug 31, 2021 Product News
NOW Organically Hip Hibiscus Tea was created.
Category: Green Tea
May 30, 2021 Blog Post
5% Nutrition Shred Time: Time to MEGA-Dose That Fat Burn!
Shred Time is an overdosed thermogenic powerhouse that includes a sweat it out complex, and an appetite suppressant that would make Rich Piana proud.
Nov 03, 2020 Blog Post
RAW Burn Improves Fat Loss, Focus, and Energy
RAW Burn is a potent thermogenic that's formulated to boost fat loss, focus, and energy. RAW Burn won't do the work for you, but it will definitely help!
Jul 17, 2020 Product News
The Genius Brand Genius Matcha was created.
Category: Green Tea
Jan 03, 2020 Product News
Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Matcha Green Tea was created.
Category: Green Tea
Nov 08, 2019 Product News
RSP Matcha Bomb was created.
Category: Green Tea
Sep 19, 2019 Blog Post
PricePlow’s Best Fat Burner Buyer’s Guide, with 2020’s Top 5
What's the best fat burner? It depends on what YOU want! So we ask a few questions, and present the options. We also have our Top 10 Fat Burners list
Aug 21, 2019 Blog Post
SteelFit Steel Releaf: Hemp-Based Pain Relief Gel in a Roll-On Stick!
Pain relief cream with CBD in a Roll-On stick! SteelFit's back with Steel Releaf, which uses CBD and more to help you fight pain and inflammation!
Aug 13, 2019 Blog Post
EVL LeanMode + Probiotic – Improve Gut Health for Weight Loss
EVL Nutrition takes a different angle on fat-burning, as LeanMode + Probiotic rights your gut health while also facilitating fat loss!
May 22, 2019 Blog Post
Beast Super Test MAX: A Guerrilla Chemist Take on Testosterone
Beast Super Test MAX is the mad strong natural testosterone booster formulated by The Guerrilla Chemist to add performance to the testosterone boost!
Dec 30, 2018 Blog Post
Universal Nutrition Pre-Armed: Pre-Workout Simplicity
Universal Nutrition announced their new pre-workout - Pre-Armed. This simple pre comes in 3 flavors - Strawberry Limeade, Watermelon, and Fruit Punch
Dec 16, 2018 YouTube Video
Nutrabio Matcha Grass-Fed Whey Isolate Review (Beta)
Sep 23, 2018 Blog Post
Redcon1 Waterboard: The Diuretic That “Tortures” Water from Your Cells
Redcon1 Waterboard is a diuretic supplement that has a few added stimulant-free fat-burning ingredients to increase thermogenesis and heat output!
May 30, 2018 Blog Post
QUANTUMiND: An Energy Nootropic for a Quantum State of Mind
QUANTUMiND is an energy-based nootropic that hits all angles: mood-boosting, neuroprotection, anxiolytics, and energy! Prepare for cognitive clarity!
Sep 18, 2017 Blog Post
SNS Growth Factor XT — Sleep Better to Grow Bigger
SNS Growth Factor XT is a unique recovery and anti-aging supplement to help you sleep better, recovery faster, and grow stronger.
Aug 17, 2017 Blog Post
EVL BCAA Lean Energy: Energy Aminos for Dieters
EVL BCAA Lean Energy provides a solid 5g dose of 2:1:1 BCAAs plus a host of ingredients to aid fat loss.
Jul 01, 2017 Blog Post
Olympus Labs Re1gn Pre Workout: What a Wild Road It’s Been
Olympus Labs is crafting a new pre workout titled Re1gn and we've got a sneak peek at what's inside! But we're still waiting on one MAJOR ingredient!
Jun 14, 2017 Blog Post
EVL LeanMode: Fat Burning Powder Replaces Your Soda
LeanMode by EVL Nutrition is an all new powder-based version of the brand's popular stimulant-free weight loss supplement. Low-fat dieters check in!
May 11, 2017 Blog Post
EVL BCAA Energy: The Best Fruit Punch EVER?
BCAA Energy by EVL Nutrition has a full 5g dose! Energy aminos are a dime a dozen, until you taste the Fruit Punch BCAA Energy from EVL Nutrition!
Feb 20, 2017 Blog Post
Beldt Labs SKALD: Oxydynamic Fat Scorcher Heats Up Amazon
Beldt Labs SKALD: Oxydynamic Fat Scorcher is a unique weight loss supplement that burns fat and enhances respiratory function all in one simple scoop!
Feb 13, 2017 Blog Post
sho Nutrition Energy+: Natural Energy Boost with Light Caffeine
sho Nutrition Energy+ naturally restores and supports energy production through a unique mixture of natural caffeine and B Vitamins.
Jan 23, 2017 Blog Post
sho Nutrition: Easy-to-Use Supplements You Can Swallow!
sho Nutrition has developed an incredibly unique way to remember to take your daily supplements, and they're easy to open and swallow too!
Dec 27, 2016 Blog Post
Hi-Tech CarniSlim – Weight Loss Carnitine for Everyone!
Hi-Tech released a new stimulant free fat burner called CarniSlim that touts FIVE different forms of CarniSlim for weight loss!
Oct 07, 2016 Blog Post
Blue Star Elevate: Maximum Mental Muscle Potential!
Blue Star Elevate is an incredibly well crafted nootropic-based supplement that enhanced focus, mood, cognition, and drive.
Aug 19, 2016 Blog Post
Gaspari Hyper Amino: Low-Cost Energy Aminos that Kick!
Hyper Amino brings Gaspari Nutrition into the energy amino arena, an all day amino blend to support recovery and muscle growth. With Ilex Guayusa!
Jul 13, 2016 Blog Post
Performance Inspired: Mark Wahlberg’s Supplement Brand
Performance Inspired is Mark Wahlberg's new supplement brand! The A-List celebrity and fitness aficionado, Marky Mark, is ready to take on the beast!
Apr 21, 2016 Blog Post
Transparent Labs Fat Burner: Burn More with Less Stims
Transparent Labs Fat Burner (PhysiqueSeries) is lower-stim and will help you shed pounds fast and maintain muscle while sculpting the ideal physique.
Mar 07, 2016 Blog Post
Cyclosome: New Age Liposome + Cyclodextrin Delivery System
Cyclosome is the next generation supplement delivery system by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, which uses a combination of Liposome and Cyclodextrin!
Mar 01, 2016 Blog Post
Blue Star Nutraceuticals Blade – Fat Burning with an Edge!
Blue Star Nutraceuticals has reformulated their popular fat burner Blade to remove Picamilon and increase its fat-shredding capability.
Jan 25, 2016 Blog Post
Synadrene (Synedrex Clone) by Hi-Tech Pharma
Hi-Tech has revamped their Synedrex clone Synadrene to now include DMHA and Walnut Bark Extract. Does it still pack a great fat burning punch?
Jan 14, 2016 Blog Post
HydroxySlim: Less-Aggressive Ephedra Fat Burner
HydroxySlim is an ephedra-based supplement from Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals that has a bit lower in potency than other ephedra fat burners.
Jan 07, 2016 Blog Post
iSatori LipoDrex – Nutrient Partitioning Thermogenic
iSatori continues to roll out new products with Lipodrex, a fat burner that also utilizes nutrient partitioning agents to help with weight loss!
Dec 14, 2015 Blog Post
Magnum Performance Greens: Comprehensive Superfood Formula
Performance Greens by Magnum Nutraceuticals offers a convenient and tasty way for you to get in your daily quota of fruits and vegetables.
Nov 18, 2015 Blog Post
MTS Tyrant – Marc Lobliner’s Estrogen & Cortisol Controller
Marc Lobliner and MTS have released MTS Tryant, an all new estrogen and cortisol control supplement that contains phosphatidylserine and DIM.
Oct 08, 2015 Blog Post
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Energy: 6g BCAAs with a Jolt
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Energy: MPNation enters the energy amino category with BCAA a full dose of BCAAs and a solid hit of caffeine.
Aug 16, 2015 Blog Post
Instant Knockout Fat Burner: Is this Worth $59??
Instant Knockout is a fat burner getting HEAVILY promoted online, selling for $59.99. Is it worth that? We analyze the Instant Knockout Ingredients.
Jan 04, 2015 Blog Post
Optimum Nutrition Protein Energy – Caffeinated Protein!
Optimum Nutrition Protein Energy is a new protein powder that combines whey protein with a bit of caffeine and fat-burning EGCG from green tea!
Jan 14, 2014 Blog Post
Protein Window Myth BUSTED: Nutrition News Jan 14, 2014
Tons of news in the nutrition world lately, including some major research published by Alan Aragon about the "protein window"!
Sign up for future Green Tea news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Green Tea news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Green Tea Reviews & Videos
Subscribe for more Green Tea news and alerts!