Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that a mature and growing body needs to operate correctly. The nutrient keeps blood cells and nerves healthy. It also has a hand in DNA production.[1, 3] Vitamin B-12 is stored in the liver for several years, making deficiency a rare occurrence.
Benefits and uses
Vitamin B12 is used for a variety of medicinal purposes, but especially the prevention and treatment of B12 deficiency and pernicious anemia (caused by B12 deficiency).
In addition, it is used for:[1, 2]
- Mood enhancement
- Improving concentration
- Alzheimer's disease
- Memory loss
- Heart disease
- Male infertility
- Sleep disorders
- Cancer prevention
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Macular degeneration prevention (age-related)
- Kidney disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease)
- Skin conditions
Vitamin B12 comes in the form of pills, lozenges, creams, injections, and nasal gel. It is available in many multivitamin formulas as well as by itself. The suggested dose is 1mcg to 25mcg daily, but it is also dependent upon age, condition, diagnosis and form used. Consult your physician regarding the best option for you, especially if you eat a meat-free diet or have head weight-loss surgery, both risk factors for B12 deficiency.[1, 2, 3, 5]
Symptoms of B12 deficiency include fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, yellowed skin (jaundice), numbness and tingling in the extremities, balance problems, depression, dementia, megaloblastic anemia (production of abnormally large red blood cells), memory problems, mouth and tongue soreness. The nervous system can be negatively affected by B12 deficiency as well. If you suspect you have a vitamin deficiency, your doctor can do a simple blood test.
Those at risk of B12 deficiency include:
- Older adults
- People with pernicious anemia
- Those who have had surgery of the gastrointestinal system
- People with digestive disorders
- Vegetarians and vegans
Does B12 work
Vitamin B12 seems to work well for reversing a B12 deficiency and pernicious anemia. It may be effective for age-related macular degeneration when taken along with folic acid, vitamin B6, and other vitamins. It's not as effective for sleep disorders, stroke prevention, or memory enhancement in older people. There isn't enough evidence to recommend B12 for eczema, Alzheimer's disease, canker sores, cancer, allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, high cholesterol, skin conditions, and fatigue. There is no evidence that the vitamin boosts energy or athletic performance.[1, 2, 3]
Vitamin B12 is considered safe when taken properly.
- Do not take B12 in large amounts.
- Vitamin B12 is safe to use on the skin.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women can safely take B12 in recommended doses. Consult your physician.
- Do not take B12 if you have Leber's disease (eye disease)
- Do not use B12 if you are allergic to cobalt.
Vitamin B12 interacts with a variety of medications and supplements, as well as with alcohol. Do not mix B12 with the following:
|Chloramphenicol||B12 has a hand in making new blood cells while chloramphenicol decreases new cell production.|
|Potassium||This mineral can reduce B12 absorption.|
|Folic acid||Taking a lot of folic acid can mask a B12 deficiency.|
|Vitamin C||This vitamin may destroy dietary vitamin B12. Take vitamin C two or more hours after eating.|
|Alcohol||Drinking excessively for two weeks or more can hinder B12 absorption.|
|Acid reflux and peptic ulcer drugs||These may interfere with B12 absorption.|
|Metformin (diabetes medication)||This drug may thwart B12 absorption.|
This is not an exhaustive list. If you're taking any medication, consult your healthcare provider before taking B12.
Sources of vitamin B12
Some foods are natural sources of vitamin B12 while others are fortified with it. Check nutrition facts on labels for details. Examples of B12-rich foods are: 
- Dairy products
- Breakfast cereal
- Follow all directions for supplement use, including B12.
- Supplements can act like drugs if they are used in large amounts. Take as directed.
- Inform your health care provider of all supplements and complementary care you use. Discuss proper dosages particular to your symptoms and medical history.
- Herbs and other supplements are not strictly regulated by the government. Product safety and consistency are not guaranteed. Effects may vary according to brand and batch.
- Purchase B12 from companies you trust, who have a good reputation.
- Don't take our word for it. Consult other reputable sources such as scientific journals for information on B12 and any other complementary or alternative treatment before experimenting with it. Educate yourself about what you put into your body!
- Regular exercise, a balanced diet and an overall healthy lifestyle can have a significant, positive effect on your mental and physical state.
- Although we don't sell B12, you can compare quality and price of a variety of brands here at PricePlow.com. Please note that we are not doctors. We take no responsibility for the products listed here since we do not manufacture them.
The best B12 supplement
Here at PricePlow, we stick with NOW Foods when it comes to high-quality, GMP-compliant, low-cost supplements. It is no different with B-Vitamins. Forget the marketing nonsense and stick with trusted, quality brands.
Vitamin B12 News on PricePlow
Mar 16, 2018 Product News:
Nature's Plus Source of Life Garden Vitamin B12 has a new variation: 60 Vcaps (Vitamin B12)
Mar 15, 2018 Product News:
Vitalabs Vitamin B12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Mar 08, 2018 Product News:
NOW B-12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Feb 22, 2018 Product News:
Solgar Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B-12) was created (Vitamin B12)
Dec 19, 2017 Product News:
Carlson Methyl B-12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Dec 19, 2017 Product News:
Carlson B-12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Nov 28, 2017 Product News:
Hero Slice Of Life Organics Adult Energy B12 has a new variation: 60 Gummies - Berry (Vitamin B12)
Nov 28, 2017 Product News:
KingFisher Media Vitamin B12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Nov 26, 2017 Product News:
Hero Slice Of Life Organics Adult Energy B12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Nov 21, 2017 Product News:
Nature's Plus Source of Life Garden Vitamin B12 was created (Vitamin B12)
Feb 21, 2017 Product News:
the Vitamin Shoppe B12 Methylcobalamin was created (Vitamin B12)
Sign up for future Vitamin B12 news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Vitamin B12 news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Vitamin B12 Deals & Price Alerts
The following deals are still active:
- Apr 17, 2018: NOW Vitamin B-12 100 Lozenges (only 1000mcg) dropped by 8.9% to $3.89 at AllStarHealth
- Apr 04, 2018: NutraBio Methyl B-12 120 1000mcg Vcaps dropped by 7.8% to $8.19 at Suppz.com
- Apr 04, 2018: NutraBio Methyl B-12 120 2000mcg Vcaps dropped by 10.0% to $11.69 at Suppz.com
- Apr 04, 2018: NutraBio Methyl B-12 120 5000mcg Vcaps dropped by 10.0% to $24.99 at Suppz.com
- Mar 26, 2018: Doctor's Best Best Fully Active B12 60 Chewables dropped by 15.1% to $3.89 at AllStarHealth
- Mar 24, 2018: MRM B-12 Methylcobalamin 60 Lozenges dropped by 15.3% to $6.26 at iHerb.com
- Mar 22, 2018: NOW Methyl B-12 60 Lozenges (only 10000 mcg) dropped by 9.4% to $15.48 at DPS Nutrition
- Mar 14, 2018: NOW Vitamin B-12 250 Lozenges dropped by 7.1% to $7.89 at AllStarHealth
- Mar 14, 2018: KingFisher Media Vitamin B12 60 Capsules dropped by 50.0% to $9.99 at Supplement Hunt
- Mar 08, 2018: Source Naturals MethylCobalamin 60 Tablets dropped by 10.8% to $4.99 at AllStarHealth
- Mar 02, 2018: Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12 60 Lozenges (only Cherry 5000mcg) dropped by 35.8% to $6.41 at eVitamins
- Feb 13, 2018: Twinlab B-12 Dots 100 Tablets dropped by 15.6% to $4.77 at Bodybuilding.com
- Jan 03, 2018: Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12 60 Lozenges (only 5000mcg) dropped by 6.9% to $13.00 at AllStarHealth
- Dec 10, 2017: NOW Vitamin B-12 100 Lozenges (only 2000mcg) dropped by 6.7% to $5.69 at Best Price Nutrition
- Nov 29, 2017: Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Dicobalene-V 200 Tablets dropped by 27.3% to $8.00 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 28, 2017: NOW Vitamin B-12 4 Oz. dropped by 12.2% to $7.89 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 20, 2017: Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12 100 Lozenges (only 1000mcg) dropped by 10.8% to $5.29 at AllStarHealth
- Oct 16, 2017: NOW Vitamin B-12 12 Shots dropped by 6.7% to $12.59 at AllStarHealth
- Oct 08, 2017: Twinlab B-12 Dots 60 Tablets dropped by 21.4% to $13.19 at AllStarHealth
- Jun 07, 2017: Nature's Way Vitamin B-12 100 Lozenges (only Cherry) dropped by 6.7% to $8.29 at AllStarHealth
Sign up for future Vitamin B12 deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Vitamin B12 deals, news, and coupons!