Ginkgo biloba is an herb. It's marketed as a dietary supplement in the U.S. Its leaves, and sometimes seeds, are used for medicinal purposes. While ginkgo is popular in the U.S., Europe, and China, it's not a new herb. In fact, its use in therapies dates back to 2600 BC. The ginkgo tree boasts the ability to live to be a thousand years old.[1,2]
- Alzheimer's disease and other memory disorders
- Ringing in ears
- Inability to concentrate
- High blood pressure
- Mood problems
- Hearing disorders
- Leg pain
- Raynaud's syndrome (feeling pain in response to cold)
- Thinking disorders associated with Lyme disease and depression
- Diabetic eye disease
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Peripheral arterial disease
The leaf extract from ginkgo biloba is also used in cosmetics and the seed, without pulp, is used in food recipes.
Does ginkgo biloba work
Research is mixed regarding ginkgo biloba's effect on Alzheimer's disease and other memory disorder.
Ginkgo biloba may work for:
- Age-related thinking problems
- Improved thinking ability in youth
- Raynaud's syndrome
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Fungal and bacterial infections
- Age-related eye disorders
- Memory problems
- Mood problems
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Leg pain
- Improving color vision in diabetes patients
- Cerebral insufficiency
There isn't enough evidence to recommend Ginkgo for the following:
- Acute hemorrhoidal attacks
- Age-associated memory problems
- Altitude sickness
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic vein insufficiency
- Cocaine dependence
- Side effects of chemotherapy
- Cognitive performance (multiple sclerosis)
- Macular degeneration
Ginkgo leaf extract can be used for:
- Side effects of radiation treatment
- Vitiligo (skin lesions)
- High cholesterol
- Colorectal and ovarian cancer
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Thinking problems associated with Lyme disease
- Blood clots
- Heart disease
- Hearing loss
Ginkgo seeds can help:
- Skin sores
- Digestion disorders
- Urinary problems
It's best if you contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking ginkgo biloba with
- Alprazolam (Xanax)
- Buspirone (Buspar)
- Efavirenz (Sustiva)
- Medications that are changed by the liver
- Fluoxetine (Prozac)
- Medications for diabetes
- Medications that may spur seizures
- Trazodone (Desyrel)
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
- Omeprazole (Prilosec)
Possible herbal interactions:
- Herbs and supplements that may cause a seizure
- Herbs and supplements that may hinder blood clotting
- St. John's wort
- Do not eat the whole ginkgo seed. It may cause seizures, unconsciousness, and death.
- Although leaf extract is considered safe, you should still be aware of possible side effects, including stomach upset, headaches, constipation, allergic skin reaction, forceful heartbeat, and dizziness.
- Ginkgo may alter the results of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
- Ginkgo fruit, leaf extract, and pulp may cause a significant allergic skin reaction.
- Ginkgo fruit and pulp may cause mucous membrane irritation.
- If you are allergic to poison oak, ivy, sumac, mango rind, or cashew shell oil, do not consume ginkgo.
- Ginkgo may increase stroke risk.
- Ginkgo leaf extract may make you bruise or bleed easier.
- Do not use ginkgo if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. It also may cause infertility in men and women if taken in high concentrations.
- Ask your child's pediatrician before giving him ginko. Do not let your child consume the seeds.
- If you have diabetes, watch your blood sugar levels.
- Do not use ginkgo if you have had a seizure.
- Ginkgo may either raise or lower your blood pressure.
- If you have a bleeding disorder don't use ginkgo.
- Stop taking ginkgo at least two weeks before surgery or dental work.
Where to buy
Are you looking for a good deal on ginkgo biloba? We've aggregated a list of some of the best selling ginkgo around -- at prices around 30% to 50% off retail.
Ginkgo Biloba News on PricePlow
Feb 10, 2018 Product News:
Superior Source Ginkgo Biloba was created (Ginkgo Biloba)
Jan 29, 2018 Blog Post:
Zhou Neuro-Peak: Amazon’s $20 Nootropic for Beginners?
Zhou Nutrition Neuro Peak is one of the best-selling nootropics on Amazon, but is it all hype? We break it all down to see if it's worth it!
Nov 18, 2017 Blog Post:
MycoBotanicals Brain: Mushroom Nootropic by Paul Stamets
MycoBotanicals Brain is a mushroom-based nootropic supplement to support optimal function of the brain and nervous system. Made by Paul Stamets!
Aug 05, 2017 Blog Post:
Lumonol Nootropic: A Popular Memory Supplement But…
Lumonol is a popular nootropic supplement that may be great for memory, but can we build a better one for cheaper? We analyze the Lumonol Ingredients.
Oct 07, 2016 Blog Post:
Blue Star Elevate: Maximum Mental Muscle Potential!
Blue Star Elevate is an incredibly well crafted nootropic-based supplement that enhanced focus, mood, cognition, and drive.
Aug 25, 2016 Blog Post:
MOD Gaming Supplement – Amp up your Gaming Focus!
The MOD Gaming Supplement is a very well-dosed, focus-based supplement for eSports gamers that provides some energy, but more smooth, controlled focus
Mar 07, 2016 Blog Post:
Cyclosome: New Age Liposome + Cyclodextrin Delivery System
Cyclosome is the next generation supplement delivery system by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, which uses a combination of Liposome and Cyclodextrin!
Nov 23, 2015 Blog Post:
Rich Piana’s MENTALITY – Cognitive Booster Leaves *Nothing* Out
Rich Piana's Mentality is a cognition boosting supplement that contains virtually every nootropic and amino acid to elevate memory and mental function.
Sign up for future Ginkgo Biloba news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Ginkgo Biloba news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Ginkgo Biloba Deals & Price Alerts
The following deals are still active:
- Apr 26, 2018: Action Labs Super Ginkgo Biloba Plus Gotu Kola 100 Capsules dropped by 7.3% to $14.36 at Amazon.com
- Apr 17, 2018: NOW Ginkgo Biloba 240 60mg Vcaps dropped by 13.4% to $13.79 at AllStarHealth
- Apr 11, 2018: NOW Ginkgo Biloba 120 60mg Vcaps dropped by 18.4% to $6.77 at Amazon.com
- Mar 17, 2018: GNC Ginkgo Biloba Plus 100 Vcaps dropped by 18.8% to $12.99 at GNC
- Aug 02, 2017: GNC Ginkgo Biloba 200 Capsules dropped by 40.9% to $12.99 at Jet.com
- Jan 03, 2017: Nature's Plus Ginkgo Biloba 60 Capsules dropped by 22.9% to $23.75 at A1 Supplements
Sign up for future Ginkgo Biloba deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Ginkgo Biloba deals, news, and coupons!