Pomegranate is a treethat is native to Iran and can be found in the United States, Russia, Asia, Europe, Africa and the Mediterranean. Deemed a "superfood," many parts of the tree are used for medicinal purposes, including the bark, root, fruit, and rind.[1, 2]
Pomegranate dates back to about 1500 BC as a cure for parasites, such as tapeworm.
It's also used for:
- High blood pressure
- Congestive heart failure
- High cholesterol
- Heart attack
- Gum disease
- Erectile dysfunction
- Prostate cancer prevention
- Weight loss
- Sore throat
Does pomegranate work
There isn't enough evidence that pomegranate is effective for medicinal purposes. Small studies have been conducted primarily in animals or test tubes, not humans. One human study, however, did show that drinking pomegranate juice had a positive effect on prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels in men with prostate cancer. It also may work as an antioxidant to treat osteoarthritis and heart disease, but larger-scale studies on humans are needed.
Dosage depends on specific conditions. Although consuming average amounts of pomegranate is basically safe for most adults, contact your health care provider beforehand if you have any chronic health issues. Before giving pomegranate extract to your children, talk to your pediatrician. Four- to 6oz servings of the juice, however, is considered safe for kids.
Pomegranate interacts with some medications, potentially altering or minimizing their effects. Pomegranate may intensify the effects of carbamazephine (anti-seizure medication) and medications that are broken down by the body (Cytochrome substrates, warfarin, tolbutamide, and rosuvastatin), so don't take them together. Also, taking pomegranate with blood pressure medication may cause excessively low blood pressure. If you are taking any medication, consult your healthcare provider before consuming pomegranate.[1, 2]
- Pomegranate juice is safe for most people, but the fruit can cause an allergic reaction in some.
- Pomegranate is safe for gums and skin application, but allergic reactions, including itching, swelling, and breathing problems have occurred.
- The tree's roots are poisonous. Do not eat the root or stems.
- If you have diabetes, consult your physician before consuming pomegranate juice. If you get your doctor's OK, then choose a product that contains 100% juice. Also, take note of sugar content.
- Do not drink pomegranate juice or consume the extract if you have diarrhea.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, contact your doctor to see if pomegranate juice is OK to drink. Steer clear of pomegranate extract.
- If you are allergic to plants, avoid pomegranate.
- Stop taking pomegranate at least two weeks before surgery, due to possible blood pressure issues.
Pomegranate News on PricePlow
Apr 04, 2019 Product News:
Jarrow Formulas PomGuard was created.
Apr 04, 2019 Product News:
Jarrow Formulas PomeGreat was created.
Dec 12, 2018 YouTube Video:
Outbreak Nutrition BUILD: Muscle Builder Ingredients
Nov 19, 2018 Blog Post:
Outbreak Nutrition BUILD: Muscle-Builder of the Apocalypse
Outbreak Nutrition's BUILD Supplement is a muscle-builder that goes beyond creatine with phosphatidic acid, ellagic acid, ursolic acid, and laxogenin!
Nov 02, 2018 Blog Post:
I Am Suprem3 Black Magic Pre Workout Takes the Reigns at Olympus Labs
Olympus Labs I Am Suprem3 is a new pre workout supplement with an "old" formula: it's the same as their pioneering RE1GN pre workout, simply renamed!
Mar 26, 2018 Blog Post:
The Lanham Act: How POM vs Coke Enabled Supplement Lawsuits
What's POM Wonderful and Coca-Cola got to do with supplements? The fact that their lawsuit led to the opening of inter-industry Lanham Act LAWSUITS!
Jan 26, 2017 YouTube Video:
Iron Addicts GOLIATH Review: CT Fletcher's BCAA
Dec 09, 2016 Blog Post:
Study: Pomegranate Juice Accelerates Recovery and Soreness
A new study shows that natural pomegranate juice greatly enhances performance and recovery, while also reducing markers of muscle damage (soreness).
Sign up for future Pomegranate news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Pomegranate news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Pomegranate Reviews & YouTube Videos
Jan 26, 2017Iron Addicts GOLIATH Review: CT Fletcher's BCAA
Subscribe for more Pomegranate news and alerts!
Subscribe to PricePlow on YouTube or click the button below to sign up for our latest Pomegranate news and reviews!