Saw palmetto was used for medicinal purposes as far back as the early 1900s. As with any medication, over-the-counter or prescription, there are potential risks. Do your own research and discuss possible benefits, side effects, and any other concerns with your healthcare provider.
About saw palmetto
Saw palmetto is a pint-sized palm tree, native to the eastern United States, from South Carolina to Florida. It has been used by the Seminoles of Florida for its nutritional and medicinal benefits. Its whole, ground, or dried fruit is used for medicinal purposes to this day.
Saw palmetto is available in pill, extract, and tea form. Active ingredients in the plant include plant sterols, flavonoids, and fatty acids, plus polysaccharides in the fruit.[1, 4]
Saw palmetto is primarily used for symptoms related to an enlarged prostate. The usual dose is 160mg twice a day or, 320mg once daily. It also is used to treat chronic pelvic pain, bladder problems, hair loss, hormone imbalance, decreased sex drive, and, in conjunction with other herbs, prostate cancer.[1, 2] The fruit may also boost immunity and curb inflammation.
Does saw palmetto work
Research results are mixed about the effectiveness of saw palmetto for prostate symptoms and the benefits do not seem to be significant. There isn't enough evidence at this time to declare the effectiveness of saw palmetto for treating prostate infection and cancer, baldness, colds and coughs, chronic pelvic pain, and migraine headaches.[1, 2, 3]
Saw palmetto interacts with some medications, potentially altering or minimizing their effects. For example, if you are taking contraceptives, it is recommended to use additional forms of birth control. Additionally, saw palmetto may reduce the amount of estrogen in the body and interfere with the effectiveness of estrogen supplements and iron absorption. Furthermore, do not use saw palmetto in concert with medications prescribed for the treatment of an enlarged prostate.
Although side effects don't turn up any more often with the use of saw palmetto than with placebo, you need to be aware of them. When side effects occur, they include:
There isn't enough evidence to back claims that saw palmetto causes liver and pancreas complications.[1, 2]
- Do not use saw palmetto if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Discontinue use of saw palmetto at least two weeks before surgery as it might increase your risk of bleeding.
- Saw palmetto is not safe for children.
- Saw palmetto supplements can contain 85% to 95% healthy fatty acids and sterols.
- Herbs and other supplements aren't subject to strict government regulation. Safety and consistency of products cannot be guaranteed. Effects may vary according to brand and batch.
- The liquid extract form has not been researched and tested, so its usefulness is unclear.
- Since fatty acids aren't soluble in water, the usefulness of saw palmetto tea is questionable. Choose capsules instead.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine; "Saw Palmetto;" Updated 2012
- MedlinePlus; "Saw palmetto;" Reviewed 2012
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine; "Saw Palmetto Extract No More Effective Than Placebo for Urinary Symptoms;" September 2011
- University of Maryland Medical Center; "Saw palmetto;" Reviewed 2011
Saw Palmetto News on PricePlow
Sep 12, 2018 Product News:
Solaray Saw Palmetto has new variations: Saw Palmetto
Sep 08, 2018 Product News:
Solaray Saw Palmetto has new variations:
- 100 Vcaps - Organic Excipient-Free
- 120 Softgels - 160mg
- 240 Softgels - 160mg
- 30 Softgels - 160mg
- 60 Softgels - 160mg
Jul 11, 2018 Product News:
GNC Saw Palmetto Berries was created.
Category: Saw Palmetto
Mar 10, 2018 Product News:
Source Naturals Saw Palmetto Extract has new variations: Saw Palmetto
Mar 05, 2018 Product News:
Source Naturals Saw Palmetto Extract was created.
Category: Saw Palmetto
Jun 27, 2017 Blog Post:
CEL Cycle Assist – On and Off Cycle Support
CEL Cycle Assist is the ultimate protection for your most vital organs whether you're on cycle or off cycle.
Jan 06, 2017 Blog Post:
Blue Star Status – Testosterone Turbocharged!
Blue Star's Status may just be the first natural testosterone booster than delivers on its claims! Read about the Status Ingredients here.
Jun 30, 2016 Blog Post:
Arimiplex by Hi-Tech: Serious On Cycle / Post Cycle Support
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals has dominated the muscle markets lately, now they look to tackle the PCT market with the release of Arimiplex.
Aug 21, 2015 Blog Post:
Rich Piana’s Liver & Organ Defender: Total Body Protection!
Rich Piana's Liver and Organ Defender from 5% Nutrition covers your body's needs with their that protects all your vital organs during "harsh" times
Apr 21, 2015 Blog Post:
Gaspari Nova-X: A Different Kind of Testosterone Booster
Nova-X is the new prohormone (not a natural testosterone booster) from Gaspari. Some ingredients look great, but we have SERIOUS toxicity concerns!
Sign up for future Saw Palmetto news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Saw Palmetto news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Saw Palmetto Deals & Price Alerts
The following deals are still active:
- Dec 13, 2018: NOW Pygeum & Saw Palmetto 120 Softgels dropped by 6.4% to $4.94 at Best Price Nutrition
- Dec 11, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Extract 90 Softgels (only with Pumpkin Seed Oil - 320 mg) dropped by 7.4% to $11.99 at AllStarHealth
- Dec 09, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Extract 120 Softgels dropped by 13.1% to $9.89 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 21, 2018: Doctor's Best Best Saw Palmetto Extract 180 Softgels dropped by 11.7% to $33.99 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 19, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Extract 240 Softgels dropped by 9.4% to $16.19 at DPS Nutrition
- Nov 12, 2018: Enzymatic Therapy Super Saw Palmetto 180 Softgels dropped by 13.6% to $27.99 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 08, 2018: Nature's Way Saw Palmetto 180 Capsules dropped by 15.6% to $7.29 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 08, 2018: Nature's Answer Saw Palmetto 120 Vcaps dropped by 30.1% to $10.79 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 07, 2018: Nature's Answer Saw Palmetto 2 Oz. (only Drops (Organic Alcohol)) dropped by 8.5% to $16.35 at Jet.com
- Nov 04, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Extract 250 Capsules dropped by 19.3% to $10.79 at AllStarHealth
- Oct 31, 2018: Doctor's Best Best Saw Palmetto Extract 60 Softgels dropped by 22.7% to $8.50 at A1 Supplements
- Oct 25, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Berries 250 Capsules dropped by 31.7% to $8.95 at IllPumpYouUp.com
- Oct 23, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Berries 100 Capsules dropped by 33.6% to $5.19 at AllStarHealth
- Sep 22, 2018: Nature's Answer Saw Palmetto 1 Oz. (only Drops (Organic Alcohol)) dropped by 8.8% to $10.39 at NetNutri.com
- Sep 22, 2018: Nature's Answer Saw Palmetto 1 Oz. (only Drops (Alcohol-Free)) dropped by 23.2% to $9.29 at Vitamin Shoppe
- Sep 08, 2018: Solaray Saw Palmetto 60 Softgels dropped by 9.1% to $10.56 at MySupplementStore
- Sep 03, 2018: Nature's Herbs Saw Palmetto Berries 100 Capsules dropped by 15.1% to $7.89 at AllStarHealth
- Aug 20, 2018: Nature's Herbs Saw Palmetto Berries 250 Capsules dropped by 47.8% to $10.54 at eVitamins
- Mar 13, 2018: NOW Saw Palmetto Extract 90 Softgels (only with Pumpkin Seed Oil 160 mg) dropped by 13.6% to $9.68 at iHerb.com
Sign up for future Saw Palmetto deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Saw Palmetto deals, news, and coupons!