Quercetin is a pigment found in a number of plants, herbs, vegetables, and fruits. The human body is able to metabolize it and preliminary research shows it may have a wide range of health benefits when taken as a supplement.
Quercetin supplements are marketed as something of a new wonder drug, as it has shown promising signs in treating or improving a wide range of health conditions. However, it's important to note that most of these claims are based on research that is either in very preliminary stages with human subjects, or has only been done on rats or in test tubes.
Among the things that quercetin is marketed and taken for:
- Seasonal allergies/hay fever
- High cholesterol
- Interstitial cystitis
- Prostate inflammation
- Heightened metabolism
- Athletic endurance
Quercetin may be useful for treating allergy symptoms and has shown promise in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
It's also a very potent antioxidant.
Studies in humans demonstrate that quercetin may be useful for treating allergy symptoms and has shown promise in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
Two test tube studies conducted in 2013 suggested that quercetin may be a good candidate for treating the symptoms of allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma.[1, 2] A 2009 study conducted on human patients found that quercetin was effective in specifically relieving the symptoms of Japanese cedar allergies.
Heart disease and blood pressure
A 2009 study of 93 obese or overweight patients found that quercetin supplementation over the course of six weeks reduced blood pressure in the entire group and specifically reduced "bad" cholesterol in most of the group.
A 2007 study found that quercetin was effective in reducing blood pressure in rats with hypertension.
A 1999 study found that quercetin reduced inflammation and pelvic pain in patients with prostatitis.
Quercetin is not regulated by the FDA and has no established recommended daily allowance (RDA). Dosages shown to provide benefits in studies vary greatly depending on the condition it is taken for. For general use, supplement manufacturers usually package quercetin in capsules ranging from 200mg to 1g. The benefits seen in studies generally have not exceeded a maximum dose of 500mg, twice daily (1g per day total).
Like most supplements derived from plants and herbs, quercetin is sold almost exclusively in capsule form. Quercetin ascorbate is available as a powder, with a large amount of additional vitamin C added as a preservative.
There have been anecdotal reports of headaches and gastrointestinal discomfort as a result of taking large doses (500mg or more) of quercetin.
Though quercetin is a potent anti-inflammatory, it may induce inflammation with doses larger than 1g.
Seasonings derived from leaves are the richest natural sources of quercetin — particularly capers, lovage, sorrel, dill, and cilantro. The richest foods in quercetin are radish leaves (used in Indian cooking) and carob powder (sold as a high-fiber substitute for cocoa). Vegetables and fruit don't have as much quercetin, but there are a number that have at least some — red onions, watercress, kale, dark-colored berries, black plums, and sweet potato are the best sources. Lots of other fruits, vegetables, and tea leaves have very small amounts.
Speak to a doctor before beginning any new program of supplementation to ensure there are no contraindications with medications or supplements you're currently taking. Herbal supplements are not regulated by the FDA.
Quercetin is contraindicated for certain antibiotics. Consult with a doctor if you are on antibiotics to ensure there is no conflict.
Quercetin may induce kidney damage in doses greater than 1g per day.
Where to buy
Quercetin supplements can be purchased right here at PricePlow and at 30% to 50% off of retail pricing. Let PricePlow do the comparison shopping so you can focus on staying healthy.
- Sakai-Kashiwabara, M, et. al; Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine; "Inhibitory action of quercetin on eosinophil activation in vitro;" June 2013
- Hattori, M, et. al; International Immunopharmacology; "Quercetin inhibits transcriptional up-regulation of histamine H1 receptor via suppressing protein kinase C-δ/extracellular signal-regulated kinase/poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 signaling pathway in HeLa cells;" January 2013
- Hirano, T, et. al; Allergology International; "Preventative effect of a flavonoid, enzymatically modified isoquercitrin on ocular symptoms of Japanese cedar pollinosis;" September 2009
- Edwards, RL, et. al; Journal of Nutrition; "Quercetin reduces blood pressure in hypertensive subjects;" 2007
- Egert, S, et. al; The British Journal of Nutrition; "Quercetin reduces systolic blood pressure and plasma oxidised low-density lipoprotein concentrations in overweight subjects with a high-cardiovascular disease risk phenotype: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled cross-over study;" April 2009
- Shoskes, DA, et. al; Urology; "Quercetin in men with category III chronic prostatitis: a preliminary prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial;" December 1999
- Hillard, JJ, et. al; Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology; "A comparison of active site binding of 4-quinolones and novel flavone gyrase inhibitors to DNA gyrase;" 1995
Quercetin News on PricePlow
Jan 08, 2020 Product News:
Thorne Research Quercetin Phytosome has new variations: Quercetin
Jan 06, 2020 Product News:
Thorne Research Quercenase has new variations: Quercetin
Aug 15, 2019 Product News:
SNS Activated Quercetin was created.
Apr 05, 2019 Product News:
Life Extension Optimized Quercetin was created.
Apr 03, 2019 Product News:
Jarrow Formulas Quercetin was created.
Apr 03, 2019 Product News:
NOW Quercetin With Bromelain was created.
Mar 19, 2019 Blog Post:
Controlled Labs White Warped Pre Workout: Great Value and Better Flavors
Controlled Labs White Warped is next in the 'White' line of incredible pre workout supplements from Controlled Labs, with value, flavor, and SPECTRA!
Nov 15, 2018 Blog Post:
Olympus Labs Sup3r PCT: The One-Stop PCT Shop Upgraded!
Olympus Labs Super PCT has been given an upgrade, removing the D-Aspartic Acid and making room for tons of beneficial post cycle support ingredients!
Sep 17, 2018 Product News:
Thorne Research Quercenase was created.
Sep 17, 2018 Product News:
Thorne Research Quercetin Phytosome was created.
Jan 24, 2018 Product News:
MRM Quercetin was created.
Jun 08, 2017 Blog Post:
Genius Test: Testosterone Support for the Smart Athlete
The Genius Brand has released a potent new natural testosterone booster named Genius TEST that looks to enhance all aspects of man's health.
Jul 26, 2016 Blog Post:
Follidrone 2.0 by Black Lion Research: Huge Natty News!
Follidrone 2.0 is follow up to Black Lion Research's powerful natty muscle builder Follidrone that is loaded with epicatechin and more!
Jul 20, 2015 Blog Post:
Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged: Kris Gethin’s Monster Pre Workout!
Pre-Kaged is the much anticipated pre workout from Kris Gethin and Kaged Muscle. Will it live up to expectations? The ingredients look MONSTROUS!
Jun 02, 2015 Blog Post:
Magnum THRUST – This Testosterone Booster has Everything!
Magnum THRUST is a testosterone booster that we consider a "kitchen sink of manliness" - there are a LOT of testosterone boosting ingredients here!
Sign up for future Quercetin news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Quercetin news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Quercetin Price Alerts
The following price alerts are still active:
- Jan 02, 2020Solaray QBC Plex 120 Capsules dropped by 9.3% to $22.39 at Vitamin Shoppe
- Dec 20, 2019Twinlab Quercetin + C 50 Capsules dropped by 10.4% to $85.98 at Amazon
- Dec 14, 2019Jarrow Formulas Quercetin 200 Capsules dropped by 27.3% to $31.41 at VitaCost.com
- Dec 12, 2019Doctor's Best Quercetin Bromelain 180 Vcaps dropped by 15.9% to $16.14 at AllStarHealth
- Apr 19, 2019Solgar Quercetin Complex 100 Vcaps dropped by 32.4% to $12.99 at AllStarHealth
- Jul 18, 2018NOW Quercetin With Bromelain 240 Vcaps dropped by 7.2% to $24.29 at Best Price Nutrition
Sign up for future Quercetin deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Quercetin deals, news, and coupons!