Quercetin is a pigment found in a number of plants, herbs, vegetables, and fruits. The human body is able to metabolize it and preliminary research shows it may have a wide range of health benefits when taken as a supplement.
Quercetin supplements are marketed as something of a new wonder drug, as it has shown promising signs in treating or improving a wide range of health conditions. However, it's important to note that most of these claims are based on research that is either in very preliminary stages with human subjects, or has only been done on rats or in test tubes.
Among the things that quercetin is marketed and taken for:
- Seasonal allergies/hay fever
- High cholesterol
- Interstitial cystitis
- Prostate inflammation
- Heightened metabolism
- Athletic endurance
Quercetin may be useful for treating allergy symptoms and has shown promise in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
It's also a very potent antioxidant.
Studies in humans demonstrate that quercetin may be useful for treating allergy symptoms and has shown promise in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
Two test tube studies conducted in 2013 suggested that quercetin may be a good candidate for treating the symptoms of allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma.[1, 2] A 2009 study conducted on human patients found that quercetin was effective in specifically relieving the symptoms of Japanese cedar allergies.
Heart disease and blood pressure
A 2009 study of 93 obese or overweight patients found that quercetin supplementation over the course of six weeks reduced blood pressure in the entire group and specifically reduced "bad" cholesterol in most of the group.
A 2007 study found that quercetin was effective in reducing blood pressure in rats with hypertension.
A 1999 study found that quercetin reduced inflammation and pelvic pain in patients with prostatitis.
Quercetin is not regulated by the FDA and has no established recommended daily allowance (RDA). Dosages shown to provide benefits in studies vary greatly depending on the condition it is taken for. For general use, supplement manufacturers usually package quercetin in capsules ranging from 200mg to 1g. The benefits seen in studies generally have not exceeded a maximum dose of 500mg, twice daily (1g per day total).
Like most supplements derived from plants and herbs, quercetin is sold almost exclusively in capsule form. Quercetin ascorbate is available as a powder, with a large amount of additional vitamin C added as a preservative.
There have been anecdotal reports of headaches and gastrointestinal discomfort as a result of taking large doses (500mg or more) of quercetin.
Though quercetin is a potent anti-inflammatory, it may induce inflammation with doses larger than 1g.
Seasonings derived from leaves are the richest natural sources of quercetin — particularly capers, lovage, sorrel, dill, and cilantro. The richest foods in quercetin are radish leaves (used in Indian cooking) and carob powder (sold as a high-fiber substitute for cocoa). Vegetables and fruit don't have as much quercetin, but there are a number that have at least some — red onions, watercress, kale, dark-colored berries, black plums, and sweet potato are the best sources. Lots of other fruits, vegetables, and tea leaves have very small amounts.
Speak to a doctor before beginning any new program of supplementation to ensure there are no contraindications with medications or supplements you're currently taking. Herbal supplements are not regulated by the FDA.
Quercetin is contraindicated for certain antibiotics. Consult with a doctor if you are on antibiotics to ensure there is no conflict.
Quercetin may induce kidney damage in doses greater than 1g per day.
Where to buy
Quercetin supplements can be purchased right here at PricePlow and at 30% to 50% off of retail pricing. Let PricePlow do the comparison shopping so you can focus on staying healthy.
- Sakai-Kashiwabara, M, et. al; Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine; "Inhibitory action of quercetin on eosinophil activation in vitro;" June 2013
- Hattori, M, et. al; International Immunopharmacology; "Quercetin inhibits transcriptional up-regulation of histamine H1 receptor via suppressing protein kinase C-δ/extracellular signal-regulated kinase/poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 signaling pathway in HeLa cells;" January 2013
- Hirano, T, et. al; Allergology International; "Preventative effect of a flavonoid, enzymatically modified isoquercitrin on ocular symptoms of Japanese cedar pollinosis;" September 2009
- Edwards, RL, et. al; Journal of Nutrition; "Quercetin reduces blood pressure in hypertensive subjects;" 2007
- Egert, S, et. al; The British Journal of Nutrition; "Quercetin reduces systolic blood pressure and plasma oxidised low-density lipoprotein concentrations in overweight subjects with a high-cardiovascular disease risk phenotype: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled cross-over study;" April 2009
- Shoskes, DA, et. al; Urology; "Quercetin in men with category III chronic prostatitis: a preliminary prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial;" December 1999
- Hillard, JJ, et. al; Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology; "A comparison of active site binding of 4-quinolones and novel flavone gyrase inhibitors to DNA gyrase;" 1995
Quercetin News on PricePlow
Mar 03, 2021 Blog Post
Animal Cuts: A Legendary, Comprehensive Shredding Powerhouse
Feb 25, 2021 Blog Post
NMN Supplements (Nicotinamide Mononucleotide): The NAD+ Energy Precursor
Nov 13, 2020 Product News
ForestLeaf Quercetin Bromelain was created.
Categories: Allergy Relief, Bromelain, Immune System Supplements, Quercetin, Stinging Nettle
Oct 29, 2020 Product News
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Quercetin was created.
Oct 14, 2020 Blog Post
Universal Animal Immune Pak: Boost Your Body’s First Line of Defense
The Universal Animal Immune Pak is loaded with vitamin C, D, zinc, antioxidants, and other natural herbs to support your immune system. Find out more!
Aug 25, 2020 Blog Post
Revive MD Women’s Health: A Multifaceted Formula
Revive MD's highly anticipated women's health product is finally arrived! It took months to formulate but it was worth the wait! Read to find out more!
Jul 17, 2020 Blog Post
NutraBio Lungs: Complete Respiratory System Support
NutraBio has put a huge emphasis on launching products geared towards various aspects of health. NutraBio Lungs has one of the most unique formulas yet!
Jun 25, 2020 Blog Post
Zynamite: 2020’s Next Generation Nootropic Ingredient
Is Zynamite from Nektium the next big thing in the dietary sports supplement industry? The reserach is looking bring for it's use in several products!
Jun 17, 2020 Blog Post
Azoth Total Focus: Stop Procrastinating with Zynamite
Total Focus from AZOTH features a combination of three key ingredients to help you crush procrastination and make more time to do the things you love.
Jun 08, 2020 Product News
Natural Factors Quercetin Bioflavonoid was created.
May 16, 2020 YouTube Video
LESS STRESS - MORE GAINZ | Glaxon Serenity Breakdown and Review
May 13, 2020 Blog Post
Glaxon Serenity Stress Support: Less Stress, More Gains!
Serenity may be the best product Glaxon has released thus far. It contains four powerful ingredients that work together to decrease stress and cortisol!
Apr 06, 2020 Blog Post
Ghost Greens: The Legends Foray Into Overall Health and Wellness
Ghost Greens has been a high anticipated product, and it's just what you expect from Ghost: epic flavors with a legendary formula. They killed this one!
Mar 31, 2020 Blog Post
NutraBio Milk Thistle: European Dry Extract for Higher Potency!
NutraBio Milk Thistle is 3rd-party lab-tested, high-silymarin supplement that uses EUROPEAN Milk Thistle, which is dry extracted and acetone-free!
Aug 15, 2019 Product News
SNS Activated Quercetin was created.
Mar 19, 2019 Blog Post
Controlled Labs White Warped Pre Workout: Great Value and Better Flavors
Controlled Labs White Warped is next in the 'White' line of incredible pre workout supplements from Controlled Labs, with value, flavor, and SPECTRA!
Nov 15, 2018 Blog Post
Olympus Labs Sup3r PCT: The One-Stop PCT Shop Upgraded!
Olympus Labs Super PCT has been given an upgrade, removing the D-Aspartic Acid and making room for tons of beneficial post cycle support ingredients!
Jun 08, 2017 Blog Post
Genius Test: Testosterone Support for the Smart Athlete
The Genius Brand has released a potent new natural testosterone booster named Genius TEST that looks to enhance all aspects of man's health.
Jul 26, 2016 Blog Post
Follidrone 2.0 by Black Lion Research: Huge Natty News!
Follidrone 2.0 is follow up to Black Lion Research's powerful natty muscle builder Follidrone that is loaded with epicatechin and more!
Jun 02, 2015 Blog Post
Magnum THRUST – This Testosterone Booster has Everything!
Magnum THRUST is a testosterone booster that we consider a "kitchen sink of manliness" - there are a LOT of testosterone boosting ingredients here!
Sign up for future Quercetin news!
Click the button below to sign up for future Quercetin news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
Quercetin Price Alerts
The following price alerts are still active:
- Apr 09, 2021NOW Quercetin With Bromelain 120 Vcaps dropped by 6.0% to $14.09 at AllStarHealth
- Apr 06, 2021Jarrow Formulas Quercetin 100 Capsules dropped by 9.5% to $16.99 at Amazon
- Apr 06, 2021Jarrow Formulas Quercetin 200 Capsules dropped by 8.8% to $30.99 at AllStarHealth
- Mar 22, 2021SNS Activated Quercetin 100 Tablets dropped by 43.2% to $21.83 at eBay.com
- Mar 15, 2021Solgar Quercetin Complex 100 Vcaps dropped by 18.8% to $19.49 at AllStarHealth
- Mar 15, 2021Life Extension Optimized Quercetin 60 Vcaps dropped by 19.3% to $11.99 at AllStarHealth
- Feb 08, 2021Natrol Quercetin 50 Capsules dropped by 20.0% to $7.59 at eVitamins
- Oct 05, 2020MRM Quercetin 60 Vcaps dropped by 28.8% to $11.39 at iHerb.com
Sign up for future Quercetin deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future Quercetin deals, news, and coupons!
Quercetin Reviews & Videos
Subscribe for more Quercetin news and alerts!