Dehydroepiandrosterone, or simply known as DHEA, is a hormone that is produced by the adrenal glands. We can look at it as a precursor to male and femalesex hormones.
As we get older, we produce less and less DHEA.Testosterone levels are also known to drop as we age, so we can seethe correlation between declining DHEA levels and diminishingtestosterone levels. It's important to note that DHEA is not anutrient or vitamin -- it's a hormone.
DHEA has its pros and cons when itcomes to supplementing with this hormone. Research is conflicting and it can be difficult to track the current stance onDHEA. Some of the potential benefits of DHEA are:
- Improving sexual function in women and men
- Cognitive functioning
- Cortisol-lowering effect
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
The real issue is that there are fartoo many conflicting studies on supplementation usage of DHEA toestablish if this is a useful hormone to add to your arsenal.By staying within the recommended dosage, side effects should be minimal.
DHEA appears to be safe in dosagesbetween 25mg to 200 mg. Always consult your physician for advice whenit comes to supplementation.
Testosterone and estrogen:
In the bodybuilding world, testosteroneand estrogen are two hormones that stand out. Menare constantly trying to increase their testosterone levels whileminimizing how much is aromatized into estrogen. Highertestosterone levels are associated with muscular gain, increasedlibido, and an increase in overall well-being. Essentially,testosterone is king. How does oral consumption of DHEA effecttestosterone levels?
It was thought that supplementing witha hormone that is a precursor to testosterone would yield a testosterone serumrise. However, research has shown thatsupplementing with DHEA has no such effect.
"In 10 young men (23 +/- 4 yr old), ingestion of 50 mg of DHEA increased serum androstenedione concentrations 150% within 60 min (P < 0.05) butdid not affect serum testosterone and estrogen concentrations ."
"An additional 19 men (23 +/- 1 yr old) participated in an 8-wk whole body resistance-training program and ingested DHEA (150 mg/day, n = 9) or placebo (n = 10) during weeks 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8. Serum androstenedione concentrations were significantly (P < 0.05) increased in the DHEA-treated group after 2 and 5 wk. Serum concentrations of free and total testosterone, estrone, estradiol, estriol, lipids, and liver transaminases were unaffected by supplementation." (Brown GA, 1999)
This shows that supplementing withDHEA for performance enhancement proves to be futile.
So far you're thinking: "DHEA is awaste to supplement with." Although you may be right, DHEA doeshave metabolites that have a little more legitimacy when it comesto performance enhancement. This metabolite is known as 7-KetoDHEA , or simply 7-Keto. Although further research is needed, onestudy showed that 7-Keto DHEA has the potential to:
- Increase fat loss when diet and training are efficient
- Favorable body composition changes
- Increase in thyroid activity
" Our results indicate that one hour ofcross-training three times per week supplemented with 200 mg of 7-Keto(TM)per day yields a significant reductionin both body weight and body fat .Furthermore, 7-Keto(TM) elevated T3significantly , which may indicate aneffect on basal metabolism." (Carlon M.Colker, 1999)
Author's note: Why would we be skeptical? This test was done on 30 overweight individuals. Of course when overweight people begin to exercise they will lose weight. Also,this study doesn't note dietary intake.
Checking your DHEA Levels - Do I Have Low DHEA Levels?
As previously mentioned, DHEA is ahormone produced in your body, thus you can have a physician checkand monitor your DHEA levels within your body. Some health risks oflow DHEA levels include, but aren't limited to:
- ischemic heart disease
- endothelial dysfunction
- bone loss
- inflammatory disease
- sexual dysfunction
(Traish AM, 2011)
Typical blood levels of DHEA canfluctuate by gender and age.
"Typical normal ranges for femalesare:
- Ages 18 - 19: 145 - 395 ug/dL
- Ages 20 - 29: 65 - 380 ug/dL
- Ages 30 - 39: 45 - 270 ug/dL
- Ages 40 - 49: 32 - 240 ug/dL
- Ages 50 - 59: 26 - 200 ug/dL
- Ages 60 - 69: 13 - 130 ug/dL
- Ages 69 and older: 17 - 90 ug/dL
Typical normal ranges for males are:
- Ages 18 - 19: 108 - 441 ug/dL
- Ages 20 - 29: 280 - 640 ug/dL
- Ages 30 - 39: 120 - 520 ug/dL
- Ages 40 - 49: 95 - 530 ug/dL
- Ages 50 - 59: 70 - 310 ug/dL
- Ages 60 - 69: 42 - 290 ug/dL
- Ages 69 and older: 28 - 175 ug/dL
Note: ug/dL= microgram per deciliter"
Brown GA, V. M. (1999, December). Effect of oral DHEA on serum testosterone and adaptations toresistance training in young men. Retrieved December 19, 2012,from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10601178
Carlon M. Colker, G. C. (1999). Double-Blind Study Evaluating the Effects of Exercise Plus3-Acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on Body Composition and theEndocrine System in Overweight Adults. Retrieved December 18,2012, from http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/colker2.pdf
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA).(n.d.). Retrieved December 19, 2012, from http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21678
DHEA-Sulfate Test. (n.d.).Retrieved December 19, 2012, from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003717.htm
Traish AM, K. H. (2011, November 11). Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)--a precursor steroid or an activehormone in human physiology. Retrieved December 19, 2012, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22032408
Author's Note: This information isintended to supplement your knowledge, not to replace advice fromyour health care provider. Interactions between your currentmedications and the above topic are not noted, therefore never usesupplements without approval from your health care provider.
DHEA News on PricePlow
Jul 09, 2018 Blog Post:
Arimistane on the FDA Ropes? (Warning Letter Spurs Debate)
The FDA recently sent a warning letter to VMI Sports regarding the ingredient Arimistane in their products... but that's not really the whole story.
Oct 02, 2017 Blog Post:
RedCon1 BOOM STICK Brings Some Serious Wood!
RedCon1 is back with their natural testosterone booster Boom Stick that's packing over 3g of D-Aspartic Acid and 3,000IU Vitamin D!
Apr 13, 2016 Blog Post:
1-Testosterone by Hi-Tech: The Bulker’s 1-DHEA
1-Testosterone is Hi-Tech Pharma's fully-dosed 1-Andro / 1-DHEA legal prohormone that contains 110mg 1-Androsterone per tablet, plus delivery system!
Mar 31, 2016 Blog Post:
1-AD by Hi-Tech Pharma: The Stackable 1-DHEA
1-AD by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals is the "milder" 1-DHEA / 1-Andro supplement that is great for beginners or anyone stacking with 4-Andro ("wet cycle")!
Mar 27, 2016 Blog Post:
1-Andro / 1-Androsterone / 1-DHEA: Everything to Know
1-Andro, also known as 1-DHEA and 1-Androsterone, is a legal prohormone in 2016 with actual human research - it led to REAL steroid-like gains! But...
Mar 07, 2016 Blog Post:
Cyclosome: New Age Liposome + Cyclodextrin Delivery System
Cyclosome is the next generation supplement delivery system by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, which uses a combination of Liposome and Cyclodextrin!
Mar 02, 2016 Blog Post:
Equibolin: Hi-Tech’s Legal Boldenone-Targeted Prohormone
Equibolin from Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals is the next new legal prohormone that goes from 1,4DHEA to 1,4Andro to Boldenone - with advanced delivery!
Feb 16, 2016 Blog Post:
Androdiol – Hi-Tech’s Liposomal Legal 4-DHEA Anabolic
Androdiol from Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals represents a new age of highly bioavailable anabolic, legal prohormones. This one includes 4-DHEA and Laxogenin
Feb 09, 2016 Blog Post:
APS Androbolic 250 – Serious Anabolic for Serious Lifters
APS Androbolic 250 is a heavy hitting prohormone supplement from APS Nutrition that helps build muscle no matter how old you are.
Nov 23, 2015 Blog Post:
Research Chemicals Site Owner Gets 3 Years in Federal Prison
Gavin Burns Smith, owner of Precision Peptides and DNA Peptides, was sent to prison for three years & fined $2 million for selling research chemicals
Nov 10, 2015 Blog Post:
RICO Case Filed Against IronMagLabs by Hi-Tech Pharma
IronMagLabs has been sued once again, this time by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals for patent infringement, unfair competition, and a RICO case is brought!
Aug 19, 2015 Blog Post:
LG Sciences Bought by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, DHEA that WORKS to Come?
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals has purchased LG Sciences, and will have the right to use their powerful DHEA Metabolite patents. Hi-Tech is on a buying spree
Apr 21, 2015 Blog Post:
Gaspari Nova-X: A Different Kind of Testosterone Booster
Nova-X is the new prohormone (not a natural testosterone booster) from Gaspari. Some ingredients look great, but we have SERIOUS toxicity concerns!
Sign up for future DHEA news!
Click the button below to sign up for future DHEA news, deals, coupons, and reviews!
DHEA Deals & Price Alerts
The following deals are still active:
- Dec 14, 2018: NutraBio DHEA 60 Vcaps dropped by 10.0% to $15.99 at Suppz.com
- Dec 13, 2018: Healthy 'N Fit DHEA 100 Capsules dropped by 22.7% to $14.99 at Bodybuilding.com
- Dec 08, 2018: Body Performance Solutions Dermacrine 7.9 Oz. dropped by 6.6% to $77.95 at Amazon
- Dec 04, 2018: AST DHEA 100 60 Capsules dropped by 15.0% to $12.74 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 19, 2018: Natrol DHEA 30 Tablets (only 10 mg) dropped by 20.4% to $2.46 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 19, 2018: NutraKey DHEA 100 Capsules (only 25mg) dropped by 25.2% to $6.39 at DPS Nutrition
- Nov 08, 2018: Life Extension DHEA Complete 60 Vcaps dropped by 7.4% to $29.99 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 07, 2018: Ultimate Nutrition DHEA 100 100mg Capsules dropped by 32.9% to $9.39 at Jet.com
- Nov 06, 2018: BODYSTRONG DHEA 180 25mg Tablets dropped by 15.4% to $11.00 at AllStarHealth
- Nov 02, 2018: NutraKey DHEA 100 Capsules (only 100mg) dropped by 10.2% to $19.18 at DPS Nutrition
- Nov 01, 2018: Natrol DHEA 60 Tablets dropped by 13.5% to $5.01 at AllStarHealth
- Oct 26, 2018: NutraKey DHEA 100 Capsules (only 50mg) dropped by 10.3% to $11.96 at DPS Nutrition
- Oct 23, 2018: Ultimate Nutrition DHEA 100 50mg Capsules dropped by 8.7% to $10.40 at Ruesco Supplement Outlet
- Oct 23, 2018: Ultimate Nutrition DHEA 100 25mg Capsules dropped by 12.5% to $6.99 at AllStarHealth
- Sep 06, 2018: MRM DHEA 90 Capsules (only 50 mg) dropped by 12.1% to $8.07 at AllStarHealth
- Sep 06, 2018: MRM DHEA 90 Capsules (only 25 mg) dropped by 12.7% to $5.09 at AllStarHealth
- Jul 12, 2018: Natrol DHEA 90 Tablets dropped by 12.5% to $7.56 at AllStarHealth
- Jul 07, 2018: SAN DHEA 90 50mg Vcaps dropped by 11.6% to $12.37 at iHerb.com
- Jun 08, 2018: MRM DHEA 60 Capsules (only 25 mg) dropped by 36.3% to $6.99 at Vitamin Shoppe
Sign up for future DHEA deals and coupons!
Click the button below to sign up for future DHEA deals, news, and coupons!