- Protects Cognitive and Circulatory Function
- Dietary Supplement
Your brain is under constant onslaught from environmental and stress-related challenges, as well as normal aging processes. Fortunately, our brain cells have built-in, self-healing systems that provide natural defenses against these ongoing threats. Even more remarkable, molecular science is revealing that the human brain has the capacity to preserve the neurons involved in brain remodeling (plasticity).
Scientists in China and Singapore have found that gastrodin, a compound typically derived from a traditional Chinese orchid (Gastrodia elata), provides powerful support for the brain's normal defenses and regenerative mechanisms. To make these benefits available to members, Life Extension introduces Brain Shield, providing 300 mg of gastrodin in each capsule for maximum brain support.
Recent studies confirm that the gastrodin in Brain Shield is one of the most powerful compounds for supporting healthy brain function at any age. Gastrodin works by the following mechanisms:
- To retain normal function, the aging brain relies on adequate blood flow to get sufficient oxygen and fuel. It has been repeatedly shown that formulas containing gastrodin beneficially support normal, healthy levels of brain blood flow in both animals and in humans
- The body maintains a delicate balance of neurotransmitters, such as GABA, which is of tremendous importance to healthy brain function. Studies show that alone or in combination the active compounds in gastrodia help maintain healthy levels of vital neurotransmitters in those whose levels are already within the normal range.
- With aging, short-term memory function is often impaired. Studies show that gastrodin and other active constituents help support the healthy body's normal defenses against the mild memory problems associated with aging
- Scientists have shown that the breakdown metabolites of gastrodin help provide support against the normal stress and tension of daily life
- And Brain Shield helps alleviate the occasional cranial pain associated with daily life
Those seeking maximum benefit should start with one 300 mg capsule of Brain Shield taken twice daily. After thirty days, one Brain Shield (gastrodin) capsule daily may be sufficient based upon the experience of gastrodin as an over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceutical agent. Those taking Cognitex are obtaining 50 mg of gastrodin in the daily dose along with complimentary nutrients. As additional research continues on gastrodin, better clarification on optimal dosing for a wide range of neurovascular and neuroinflammatory conditions should be available.