- Lab-tested for purity
- Rich in vitamins A and D*
- Certified sustainable by MSC
- Organic lemon oil for fresh flavor
- Natural, triglyceride-form omega-3s
- Extracted from livers frozen at sea within hours of harvest
- No artificial preservatives, color, dairy, starch, wheat, yeast, sugar, or soy protein
- Product of Norway**
*See our note below, concerning consumption of vitamin A during pregnancy and lactation.
**Our oil is extracted from Alaskan cod and bottled in Norway.
For generations, cod liver oil has ranked as a top health tonic in Europe and America.
People knew it was highly healthful, but didn’t know about omega-3s, vitamin A, or vitamin D.
Today, we know the essential nature of those nutrients, of which cod liver oil is a superbly rich, healthful source.
About Vital Choice Wild Alaskan Cod Liver Oil
Our oil comes from wild Alaskan cod — one of the purest, most sustainably managed fish on earth.
Unlike some fish oils, our Cod Liver Oil supplement provides omega-3s in their natural triglyceride form.
And, our Cod Liver Oil abounds in the vitamin A and D for which cod liver oil is justly famous. (Please see our note below** concerning the possible range of vitamin A doses in this wild product.)
The refining process leaves the oil virtually odorless, and we add organic lemon oil to ensure superior flavor.
The cod is caught in wild, pure Alaskan waters, and the livers are removed and frozen at sea within hours of harvest.
Crude liver oil is then extracted within days of harvest, capped with nitrogen to eliminate oxidation, and then refined (molecularly distilled) to remove all impurities.
Omega-3 health benefits
The U.S. FDA has approved two qualified health claims regarding omega-3 EPA and DHA:
- Supportive but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Consuming EPA and DHA combined may reduce blood pressure and reduce the risk of hypertension, a risk factor for CHD (coronary heart disease). However, FDA has concluded that the evidence is inconsistent and inconclusive.
The long-chain omega-3s (EPA and DHA) that abound only in seafood (especially fatty fish) – and in supplemental fish and krill oils – are essential to human life and support optimal health in key organs, systems, and life stages*:
- Fetal development
- Skin, hair, and nails
- Joints and movement
- Cognition (thinking), attention, mood, and memory
*The U.S. FDA has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult with your physician before taking doses substantially higher than recommended, or taking this product if you are pregnant, diabetic, allergic to fish or iodine, have a diagnosed cardiac condition or immune disorder.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult their health care practitioner about vitamin A intake during pregnancy.
- The levels of vitamins A and D in cod liver oil vary by season, year, and harvest location.
- Vitamin A doses can be expressed either as micrograms (mcg) of retinol activity equivalents (RAE) and/or as international units (IU).
- The amount of vitamin A in each 1-teaspoon serving of our Cod Liver Oil ranges from 810-1350mcg (2700-4500 IU).
- That range of possible vitamin A levels represents 60-100% of the Daily Value for pregnant and lactating women (1300mcg), and 90-150% of the Daily Value for adults and children over the age of 4.